My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light.

Edna St. Vincent Millay, "A Few Figs from Thistles", US poet (1892 - 1950)

Saturday 26 May 2007

You're upstairs in the room with the coats...

and everyone's speaking Latin.

Before Josephine is inundated with corrections regarding her poor attempt at latin wit from regular contributors to Points of View do please note that, in the interest of accuracy, Accidental Law Student and I debated at length the possible declensions of "patria" and "lex". Alas, despite being awarded full marks in various examination papers culminating in an A at A-level, Josephine has a very poor grasp of Latin grammar indeed (this largely owing to her latin teacher's philosophy that grammar would "just come naturally").

As such, the only thing she feels able to decline are any invitations to residential latin courses over the summer vacation. No thank you very much...

3 comments:

Lise Johnston said...

Which reminds me, I still have an incomplete in Beginning Latin 1 that I am supposed to be working on finishing over the summer. *sigh*

Josephine Bloggs said...

I used to go to school with someone whose parents had taught her at home up until sixth form, and she was absolutely outstanding at both Latin and Greek. She learned all of her grammar from a terribly old-fashioned crumbly old 1940s schoolbook by some professor or other.

I've toyed since with the idea of relearning grammar from this magic book, but as yet haven't got around to it. Perhaps I should, just in case the Old Boy network conducts its pupillage interviews in Latin...

Lise Johnston said...

Hmm...I wonder what book that was? In the meantime I'm stuck with the classic Wheelock's Latin that I think almost every US Latin student has been subjected to since the 1950s.