My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light.

Edna St. Vincent Millay, "A Few Figs from Thistles", US poet (1892 - 1950)

Monday 25 June 2007

Sara

It's ten to three and Josephine can't sleep. So she's listening to one of her all time favourite songs on loop. Josephine has a slightly addictive relationship with music: she can listen to one song or a very short playlist of songs over and over for days at a time until she is sick of it and can't listen to it again for months. Last week it was Portishead and The Police. During exams it was The Lark Ascending, Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth and Edwyn Collins' A Girl Like You. Before that was a protracted period of Joni Mitchell, Ravel, Neil Young and Crosby, Stills and Nash.

This week it is Fleetwood Mac's Sara.

It's definitely a Desert Island Disc. It's possibly even a one-last-song-before-I-die.
An "Oh-go-on-then, just-another-six-and-a-half-minutes...", mourners-grooving-in-the-aisles-at-my-funeral sort of song.

Probably won't be mentioning that in my applications for pupillage, but just thought I'd share. Music sounds so much better through headphones.

In the dark.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sympathise! ( not that music is an unpleasant addiction of course)
I'm listening to Paul McCartney's 'Dance Tonight' in an epic loopathon that's been going on for the past three days while I research some bits and pieces for my Ph.D application. Needless to say the words of the song rattle around in my head every time I think of the words " Time CharterParties"........